Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Home at last

 "DEAR LORD!....Get me home!"

The caregiver (that's me, if you're wondering) got a break!  It was a great weekend. I went to AZ to see my wonderful family while my Mother stayed with my brother and his wife.  I read on my brother's Facebook that he was asking God for patience and he needed it NOW.  For their entire "72 hours", Mother was stuck on the usual 21 questions. Why am I here?  When am I leaving?  Where is the baby?  ....WAIT A MINUTE.....Where's the BABY?  Oh Lord...I thought that was over. 

They called me in AZ (about 21 times) to see if talking to Mother would help, but she was even more confused.  She was worried about.....  you guessed it...."the BABY"!  But today was the day for my brother and his wife to bring Mother to meet my sister at the airport to pick me up.

My sister-in-law said things would have been better if she had only had "the baby."  Oh well, I'm learning.

On the way home, my sister insisted that we stop by her house to see her daughter and son-in-law and their NEW BABY (a real baby in case you're confused) that's a few months old.  Oh no, I thought, a baby! I wondered what Mother would do.  This baby has a name... and a pulse!  

After talking to this REAL baby, Mother said, "I have a baby too!".   At that point I said, "I think it's time to go."  We headed for our house.  By now it was 10:00PM. 

All the way home, Mother prayed loudly, "Oh Lord please help me get home." 

"Mother, don't worry....we'll be home in a few minutes."

"This is not the way!"
"You need to turn around!"
"You're going the wrong way!"

"Okay."  I said.   

She started praying a little louder...  "O LORD!!! Please help me get home!!!!" 

My sister and I were laughing in the front seat talking about the trip when all of sudden there was all out shouting, "You two need to stop fooling around and DRIVE!"....  At this point, we both thought she might try to jump in the front seat and drive herself home. 

Needless to say, when we finally got home I quickly got her ready for bed.  I always take out her teeth and she always says the same thing.  "What happened to my teeth?" 

"Mother, your teeth are like the stars, they come out every night." 

She says, "Will they be back in the morning?" 

"Yes." 

She got in the bed.  I showed her the baby and told her the baby was sleeping with me.  We prayed together, and as usual and she was fast asleep before we finished.  She was happy to be home.

It's good to come home.  Home provides a place of comfort and rest...and I realize it's a haven.  I'm grateful to my brother and his wife for giving me a break...and now.... I'M going to sleep...(right after I flop that baby back up on the dresser).  Nighty night!

PS:  All comments are welcome!!!

1 comment:

  1. Another great one, my friend! This could be another book in the making. It could let people know there are other people going through the same things and that they can be compassionate, loving and find humor in any situation. You have given me lots of much needed laughter reading your articles! Love you! Rebecca L.

    ReplyDelete