Monday, July 11, 2011

"I miss you, Mama."


I was trying to get Mother ready for bed, but she was not cooperating.  She was very upset.

“My Mama doesn’t know where I am and I know she is worried.” 

“Mother, it’s okay.  Let’s get ready for bed”. 

“I’ve got to go home!”

“Why Mother?”

“I’m in trouble!  My mama doesn't know I'm at your house!  I’ll pay you any amount of money if you’ll take me home!”

“Mother you don’t need to pay me.”

“I’ll write you a check tomorrow.”  

"Do you want me to call your Mama?"   

"Please!  Call her.  Please!!"  

"Okay.  I’ll dial her number and you can talk to her." ....(I dialed myself.)

"Hello Mama?"

"Hi Honey!  Where are you?" 

"Mama, I told my friend that I needed to go home, but she begged and begged me to spend the night and I don’t know what to do."

"Well is this one of your best friends?"

"Yes!"

"Will this friend take care of you should you need anything?"

"Yes, Mama!  You'd love her if you met her!  She's reminds me of you!  But Mama, I miss you!  Can't you just come get me?"

"Honey, it’s too late for me to come and get you.  But you have my picture.  Put it right next to your bed while you sleep.  I'll be with you always, my dear.  You are my sweet girl.  But right now you need to get some rest because tomorrow is Sunday and you will be getting all dolled up for church!"  

"Okay.  I love you.  I miss you, Mama."

"I love you too.  Goodbye Dorothy.  Remember, I love you always and forever."

(I'm crying as I hang up the phone.  I miss my mom, too.)

One day..."He will wipe every tear from my eyes.  There will no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things will pass away." Revelation 21:4

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous, Thank you for joining my journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great. Mom used to ask for dad a lot and I would tell her he is at work. And she was always wanting to go home. Non stop sometimes. You are handleing it better than I did. Great post. So gald you visited my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen...thank you SO much for reading! I LOVE your blog! It helps to know others who have struggled with the same thing. So nice to know you. Thank you for following!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, I care for and elderly couple 2 nights a week. She has altzheimers, and he has parkinsons and slight dementia. I can relate well to your stories.
    You seem to know just how to divert disaster by "playing along" when you have to. These precious souls live in yesteday's world, and stepping in with them can be the best siolutuon many times!

    ReplyDelete